Author: Leora Oldessroth
The full name was not recorded in the main series, but was given in the Wheel of Time Companion. Other information about the character is also included in the Companion, but we did not use it in the TarValon.Net Library.
Escaralde Hamdey is an Aes Sedai and Sitter for the Brown Ajah (TPoD, Ch. 16); she sides with the Salidar Aes Sedai (LoC, Ch. 13). Escaralde is about seventy years old -- the oldest newly-chosen Sitter among the Salidar Aes Sedai except for Romanda and Moria (TPoD, Ch. 16). Siuan has pointed out that Escaralde is "too young" to be a Sitter (CoT, Ch. 19).
- As a Sitter, Escaralde is present when the Hall votes to raise Egwene to the Amyrlin Seat (LoC, Ch. 35).
- As soon as Akarrin and the rest of the Aes Sedai sent to investigate Shadar Logoth return, Escaralde, as well as Moria and Malind, summon the Hall to hear their report (CoT, Ch. 18).
- Escaralde is one of the first to arrive in the Hall, but she chooses to seat the Browns in the back of the Hall instead of in the front, which is unusual (CoT, Ch. 19).
- Escaralde and Moria put forth the suggestion to the Hall that they ally with the Black Tower; they are the first two to stand and vote "Yes" for the alliance (CoT, Ch. 19).
- Escaralde suggests that the Brown Ajah should lead the delegation to the Black Tower (CoT, Ch. 20).
- Escaralde votes "Yes" to Rand's proposal that the Salidar Aes Sedai bond forty-seven Asha'man (KoD, Ch. 23).
- After reunification, Escaralde steps down from her position as a Sitter (ToM, Ch. 27).
"It amazed Egwene how Escaralde could do that. Loom, that way. She stood inches shorter even than Nisao. It must have been sheer force of will. Escaralde never backed down when she thought she was in the right. And she always did think she was in the right." (Egwene's thoughts about Escaralde; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 19)